The new year has got me fired up! I decided to make a change and clean out my home office. I have 15 plus years of files and stuff and I went through a lot and tossed a lot. It felt very freeing. However I could not stand to have my items in boxes so the painters are coming in this week and hopefully at the end of the week I will have a new, fully decorated office. Here are some of the before photos as well as some of the cool items I purchased to spruce up the space and make it a bit more modern. I never knew I could spend so much time on Pinterest!
It’s cold in Boston and even though designers and trend setters are onto spring and summer the everyday mom needs to know what to wear from now until spring! So unto my top fashion trends for winter 2015.
1. Fur – not real fur but faux fur. It can keep you warm and it is fun too. The fur on the runways was a bit much and in bold colors but I like a nice black or brown fur vest to layer with a turtleneck.
2. Gold – anything in this color – use it as an accent piece and/or a scarf or sweater to brighten up your wardrobe.
3. Sportswear – my yoga friends will like this. Get it in fleece and other fun fabrics. So now you really can go from the gym to work in sportswear and be trendy.
4. Khaki – think military in structured look – bingo! I have a few, fun looks in my closet right now that are warm and toasty – perfect for the weather we have been having lately – see photo below for some ideas.
5. Aspen chic – of course with fringe detailing and cozy knits this is perfect for the cold days ahead. If you had to add one thing to your wardrobe this is it.
6. Shearling – According to vogue.com, “Shearling made its comeback as this season’s must-have piece.” Trends do come and go but usually there is always one that is a must and something that you can have in your wardrobe for years. This is it. This Faux Shearling coat from my closet I have had for ages. Glad I kept it!
7. Velvet – for an evening out makes a statement. I have a pair of velvet leggings I wear during the holiday season that I love.
8. Leopard – I have always loved this trend and just picked up a leopard sweater/sweatshirty top for $12.99. If you are thinking that is too much leopard for you try leopard accessories. A nice shoe – see below- a scarf or purse can add a pop of excitement to your wardrobe in anything leopard.
9. Black and White Graphic – According to Vogue.com “Designers presented intricately geometric patterns, Rorschach-style motifs and trompe l’œil effects. The prints of the season created hypnotic images and optical illusions.” For the everyday woman just look for fun, striped patterns in black and white!
10. My favorite find – The Poncho - I love this look and especially since I picked up a Burberry inspired one in the fall I am all set for the cold evenings out. I love to wear all black with my poncho and/or pair it with my red pants for a fun look.
Stay warm and trendy this winter. *Photos below taken by my 13 year old!
Today on the 980 WCAP trendymommies.com report we were talking kids fall fashion and of course what is in style for kids’ Halloween costumes.
What a neat idea from Honey Maid. The company created a new online initiative called Made Co. to help kids get their ideas made. Made Co. is a unique new online contest for kids ages 6-12 that can win opportunities to have their ideas brought to life with the help of industry experts.
It has been going on for months and there is only 13 days left so check it out. The goal was to inspire the little ones to learn and create under the guidance of real world professionals in their chosen fields.
Through Made Co., Honey Maid will partner with several experts from a variety of industries including clothing designers, authors and game and toy makers. These industry experts will review idea submissions and select one grand prize winning idea per project to be professionally created, with the help of the winning applicant.
One of the current projects on the site now includes a chance to win a trip to attend a writer’s workshop (for a winning child with her/her parent) with My Weird School book series author, Dan Gutman, at Harper Collins Publishers headquarters in New York City. The winner will work with Dan and Harper Collins to produce ten copies of the book that he or she has conceived.
Honey Maid sent me a brochure and a gift card to Target so my little one could purchase a few items to help her create something special. Of course my author in the making chose the writing assignment (see the books below – can you tell we love My Weird School???) Armed with her pencils and notebooks she wrote a short story! She was very excited about the whole experience.
Visit the web site www.HoneyMaid.com/MadeCo. and the Facebook page www.Facebook.com/HoneyMaid to learn more about this contest and the entire range of Honey Maid products such as Honey Maid Grahamfuls, which can help can fuel your child’s creativity. Have you tried the Grahamfuls yet? They taste so good!
Disclosure: Honey Maid sent me a brochure and a gift card to purchase items to help with this project. All opinions are my own.
Tis’ the season for running around at the last minute…fa la la la la!
This morning on New England Cable News we were discussing stocking stuffer gift ideas. Here are some of the great finds we absolutely love!
- Bloom Black Ties.com - it’s a pony tail holder made to look like jewelry on your wrist. What a great invention – how many of you have a black pony tail holder on your wrist right now?? Buy these chic ones and you’ll never be embarrassed again with a line of hair ties on your wrist!
- Speaking of hair ties, DimannoDesigns.com has great handcrafted ponytail holders ($12.00) and wrist cuffs ($33.00 and up) – perfect for your teens.
- I love TarteCosmetics.com This line is a favorite of mine as their products are made with vitamins, minerals and natural fruit and plant extracts and they are formulated without parabens, phthalates and synthetic fragrances. puttin’ on the glitz limited-edition color collection & clutch is worth it as it is a clutch and has THREE compacts that you can choose from ($48.00)
- If you want to give your little princess a little bling try ostbye.com Ostbye: Little Diva Diamonds™ collection: They retail for under $150 and the company offers pendants, bracelets, and earrings. Each piece features a real diamond and sterling silver design.
- It seems a lot of kids this season are requesting watches. RUBR watches - Interchangeable, fun, colorful watches ($25)
- Bike Glow.com is great for kids. It’s a fun, safe way to light up your bike. ($25.00)
Here are some organic finds:
- Glee gum.com is a company is based in Providence, RI that makes all natural, no preservatives, fun, flavored gum. The make your own chewing gum makes 50 sticks – all ingredients in the kit including the pan ($13.00)
- For your artists - Glob IT ON.com paint set all natural colors made from fruits and veggies, flowers and spices ($15.00)
- Kids love hot chocolate so they will need a reusable cup: Keepcup.com is a BPA free, kids re-usable cup for hot cocoa ($10.00)
We love our treats during the holidays and these are sure to bring a smile on a child’s face or a great gift to bring to your neighbors or anyone you visit this season.
- An Osterville, MA mom created my little cup cake pop.com -- these are very trendy. They have no bake recopies on their web site . The cake pop mold is fun and easy to use ($5.95)
- Lake Champlain chocolates – fresh, all natural from VT starting at 10 dollars
- Other fun candy like Rudolf’s boogers (ha, ha) can be found at: www.niftycandy.com
- Dancing Deer.com is a favorite of mine. Based in Boston but available online and at Whole Foods, these Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best. The Whole Grain PB& J squares are new. The sward winning Chocolate Chunk Brownies have been named “America’s Best Tasting Brownie” based on a recent blind taste test in City Hall Plaza, Boston and a national consumer survey. They all come in the perfect stocking stuffer size)
Tomorrow we will tackle the toy list and warm weather fashions and accessories!
Ah the Oscars! The glitz, the glamour, the hosts – oh no. Everyone was tweeting last night about the fashions, the hosts and the winners. It was fun to be a part of the conversations. I thought the hosts did fine but James Franco did look a bit like he did not want to be there. No big surprises for the actual Oscar winners so let’s get to the fashions. The trends for the evening were lots of color (hello red), some lace and shimmer. The best dressed in my opinion was Sandra Bullock and of course Hailee Steinfeld looked adorable. Of course Halle Berry looks great as always. The worst dressed in my opinion was Cate Blanchett’s and that dress – yikes. My favorite places to hear all about the Oscar wrap ups are Entertainment Tonight and US Weekly. What were your favorites?
Trendymommies was on local radio station WCAP to discuss holiday shopping tips, unusual gift ideas and trends for gifts this season!
My friend invited me to a fashion show at the Four Seasons in Boston this past weekend and it was fun. Lots of jewelry, clothes and fashionable people!
I did not realize it was a benefit and fundraiser for this great organization called Ovations for the cure of ovarian cancer. http://www.ovationsforthecure.org
Please do go to the web site to see how this organization got started from the courage of one woman…
The fashion show featured Stuart Weitzman’s fall 2010 line as well as designs from Michael De Paulo Couture’s new spring 2011 line.
We loved the jewelry by Catalina Delatorre and especially the way it was presented. Check out the photos….Simply a work of art!
In my search for the perfect back to school lunch bag I wanted to make sure the ones I give my kids are PVC free. Of course I love LLBean back packs and according to their web site their lunch boxes are tested for no lead, phthalates or PVCs. They have every color imaginable! http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/844?nav=gnrost
I just discovered the fuel line of products for the kids! Designed well and in matching colors….just perfect! Plus they are affordable! Tested the insulated lunch bag, the dry snack container and stainless steel water bottle and my kids loved them. Check out their other products too as they come in four fun colors. All are lead free, no PVC and no Bisphenol-A! I love how the snack container has a clip for easy backpack access and the foldable cutlery set is a perfect fit for lunch boxes.