Thanksgiving is almost here, time for good fun and cheer! This year we are cooking a turkey which in years past we usually buy our turkey pies from my favorite place growing up – Raymond’s Turkey Farm. My kids love their turkey pie and fixings and it’s funny as I loved it as a child too. I just was so busy that I did not have time to get there. I do love this time of year for celebrating traditions. I am trying to make fun memories for my kids and continuing on with my goal of doing something fun and different, (and to travel more – whether it’s a day trip, weekend away or vacation) we are headed to a couple fun events this coming weekend including The Boston Ballet’s performance of the Nutcracker and a visit to Great Wolf Lodge! More on those fun events later.
The girls asked me if they could do the Turkey Trot in our town this year and wanted me to do it with them. Well, I am not a runner – AT ALL – but thought this would be a fun event to do with my kids and it’s for charity (proceeds go to our local food pantry) I have been trying to run every other day but I am only up to 1.5 miles LOL. Believe me this is the most I have ever run – it’s just not my thing- I am trying though….I hope I can make it the 3 miles! So we shall see how this Thanksgiving morning tradition will go. I will not complain though as I am lucky enough to be able to run, my kids are active, my family is here for Thanksgiving so lots to be thankful for!!
What traditions do you have?
Summertime is not over yet! If you are looking for a quick day trip and are planning to be in the Portsmouth, New Hampshire area check out Water Country! We had a great time and here are trendymommies tips to surviving the day at Water Country!
- Plan ahead and make sure you pick a sunny, warm day – We did have a great sunny day but toward the end of the day we were cold! I know that sounds funny as it was 72 degrees but many of the slides had umbrellas – for good reason – as if it’s very hot they provide a nice area for shade. It’s just we just would not want to be there in the cold!
- Buy the locker. We wanted to take photos but didn’t want to carry around our phones all day and thankfully they had lockers to store our stuff. It was pricier than I thought – $12 – but so worth it.
- You can walk with you flip flops and towels – or just store them in your locker but I liked to have my flip flops handy – especially if you had to run to the bathroom.
- Enjoy the wave pool – what I like about Water Country is that there are lots of places to lounge if you wanted to watch the kids and the wave pool is the perfect place to do this. Plus you can enjoy an ice cream or treat while lounging!
- Lots of place to eat – enjoy the food – You can certainly pack some snacks and water and store them in the locker but they do have a variety of places to eat there so enjoy and don’t worry about packing a lunch if you don’t want to.
- As with any travel destination – early or later is the best time – anytime is fun at Water Country but we did notice at the end of the day the lines were shorter and that is when the girls went up and down multiple times on their favorite slides.
Check them out on the web site here.
Disclosure: Water Country sent me 4 passes to enjoy the day. All opinions in this blog post are my own.
Well it has been a few weeks since we visited the Red Jacket in South Yarmouth and I miss it! Summer has been so busy but I will never forget our quick adventure to this must see beach resort! As part of the Red Sox Moms the kids and I were invited to stay at this lovely beach resort and we loved it! It is not too late to enjoy a night or more at this fun beach resort so check out the specials they are offering here.
The Red Jacket Beach Resort is on a beautiful beach on Nantucket sound. If you have been to Cape Cod you know there can be a lot of running around and many things to see. What I like about the resort is how quiet it is yet there are so many things to do right on the property. They have an indoor pool and an outdoor pool that is very close to the beach. Some of the adventures of staying here include yoga on the beach, a great restaurant right on the property, a complete spa and children’s activities each day! Here are some of our photos from the trip. If you want to explore some more around the cape and for more information go to the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce web site. Click here for the site.
Disclosure: I was treated to a two night stay to the property as part of the Red Sox Moms initiative. All opinions in this blog post are my own.
Lots to do @rjresorts
Indoor pool at night #RedJacketResorts #CapeCod
The Red Jacket beach resort in South Yarmouth has the best sunsets I have ever seen!
The outdoor pool @rjresorts
Well, we are back from our Disney vacation and we miss it already. So much has changed since the last time we were there 5 years ago. I will NOT wait that long to visit again. Everyone has their tips and strategies for navigating through the parks so here are my top 5 tips/favs from The Walt Disney World Parks.
1. It makes sense for us to stay at a Disney resort as you can take advantage of the magic hours and those magic bands are great as that is really all you need to carry with you. Who wants to lug around a bag with stuff all day especially if you have older kids.
2. Early in, rest afternoon, late night, back at it – Here is our strategy as our kids are a bit older (10 and 13) – Get to the park early, get your favorite rides in first thing and schedule fast passes for either late morning or later in the evening. My kids like to go on multiple times but with long lines that is not possible. We took a break each day at around 2 and we enjoyed the rides early in the morning with no lines, some days had the fast pass mid-morning and when we got back in the evening we enjoyed the sites and did not stress about the long lines. (at Magic Kingdom there were no lines at 11:00 pm lol)
3. Eat where you like and it doesn’t have to be a big sit down meal each day – we did not do the meal plan. We had one lunch reservation (so we could have a Fantasmic show pass) and of course the most coveted meal -a dinner reservation at Be Our Guest). The other meals we just went with what we liked – dinner at Epcot in Italy and Germany. We also like Downtown Disney as our favorite restaurant is Wolfgang Puck Express. It’s casual, the food is great and you do not need a reservation.
4. Treats! Get the Dole Whip treat at Aloha Isle in Adventureland which is the popular frozen treat blended in pineapple, orange, vanilla or swirled flavors. I kept seeing that frozen banana on a stick everywhere! It was so good! The kids loved the Coke slushie in Animal Kingdom as they never drink it so that was a special treat. Another favorite in Downtown Disney is Ghiradelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop. LOVE the one scoop sundaes.
5. Disney is not a relaxing vacation -it is very fun but it’s non-stop and tiring. We were lucky as it was 85 and sunny each day so relaxing by the pool each afternoon was a real treat. That is one recommendation – to take a break and relax each day. There can be so much shuttling back and forth on those buses and waiting in line and running to the ride you want. TRY to relax each day if you can. We also spent our last day by the pool and got a ride to the airport at 3:30 (yes my kids were in the pool at 3:05….didn’t want to leave the 85 temps for 25 degrees back home!) so at least we got to have a bit of a wind down period. As I kept saying to my family, “you can rest when we get home!”
Memories at Magic Kingdom #DisneySide
Happy New Year! ok I am a bit late to welcome in the new year on the blog given that is is mid-January. lol! It sure was a busy holiday season and the new year is off to a great start for work and play. What is on your agenda for the new year? I don’t like to say resolutions but I did put it out there that this is the year my kids and I will travel more and in general have fun trips scheduled every month. So whether it’s a day of skiing or a trip to Great Wolf Lodge there will be something on the schedule!
What’s on your agenda for 2015? I hope it’s fun!!
Looking for a quick trip overnight someplace close with adventure, water and relaxation? We recommend the newest indoor waterpark resort @GreatWolfLodge. We were invited to the grand opening celebration last week in Fitchburg, Mass and what an adventure. I surprised my kids by not telling them their secret destination for the day. When we pulled up to the parking lot they were screaming! This really is a family fun destination as not only does it have 68,000 square feet of waterpark but 300,000 gallons of water and it’s more than a waterpark with interactive games, activities, a kiddie spa and more.
There is a waterslide for all ages from the kiddie Whooping Hallow and Tadpole Pond to the Howling Tornado and the exclusive Wolf Tale, you will not be bored at all. The girls and I loved the Slap Tail Pond which is the gigantic wave pool. I tested ALL the waterslides and I do mean ALL of them including the Wolf Tale, in which you step into a clear enclosed tunnel and then the clear floor drops right out from underneath you. The younger kids would love the Fort Mackenzie which is like a treehouse in water!
We were so impressed with the waterpark that we didn’t even venture back to the Howlin Timbers Play Park (next time!) There is a 9-hole mini golf course, family bowling and a 30 feet adventure climbing attraction! There is also the Howly Wood® XD Theater which is a motion thrill ride that transports you directly into the movie action! We will have to check this out for sure next time we visit!
My girls also loved the Scooops Kids Spa which has ice cream-themed manicures, facials and more. There are three different gift shops and six restaurants/snack bars (which includes a Dunkin Donuts). Ok so where does the relaxation come in? I like how the lounge chairs are close by the pool so if mom and dad want to take a bit of a break they can. However, I was going non-stop with my kids! There is also the arcade and a restaurant close by in the arcade so parents can relax there too. My girls are all about a good arcade experience!
Admission is exclusive to resort guests. Head over to Great Wolf Lodge online and you can save 30 percent on your stay.
Disclosure: My kids and I were invited to the grand opening celebration for the day and got to enjoy the adventure. All opinions are my own.
All smiles @GreatWolfLodge
The kids and the slides…quite an adventure
Looking for a new make-up bag or storage for your kids Legos? Try the Lay-n-Go! Lay-n-go is a 5 foot diameter activity mat that coverts to a satchel allowing for quick and easy clean up of toys. There is a smaller Lay-n-Go Lite which is a smaller, personal activity mat and a Lay-n-Go “cosmo” cosmetics bag. It is great for storing small items and for on the go activities where you need a mat too. They call it their activity mat, cleanup, carryall and storage solution in one (yeah, finally!) This was a great solution for me as most days I am dumping the contents of my make-up case on the bed, counter or wherever I am to do my make-up. It wipes clean and is a much more functional cosmetics bag. Plus, perfect for those annoying little toys like polly pockets!
New and improved make-up bag!
Disclosure: the company sent me the Lay-n-Go cosmo for review. All opinions are my own.
This story of the missing toddler in Rockport makes me so sad. Here is the latest from Boston.com
This week on 980 WCAP-AM we talked about the story, beach safety and more….listen in
I am not a big traveler any more. I used to travel all the time for work but since being self-employed and most of my work is done online and over the phone I do not get on a plane or stay in a hotel that often. I do have a trip planned for an overnight in NYC and was looking for a hotel and did not have time to do the research myself and that I why I was so excited to meet Eileen Shank of HemlsBriscoe. (check her out on linked in!)
Within a day she got me a great rate at a hotel in NYC. Day 1 and my trip was planned! Working with someone to help plan your trip, meeting or event is much easier, I think!
The next time you have a group meeting or event to plan contact Eileen at HelmsBriscoe. She specializes in large, group rates (10 or more overnight rooms) and or all rooms and meeting spaces from the smallest meetings to city wide conventions.
FYI…HelmsBriscoe is the global leader in meeting procurement, saving customers time, energy, effort, money and resources and it is the largest site selection company in the world. I do believe they get exclusive access to special rates and promotions not available to anyone else.
Well, I wish I knew about this fab new product earlier in the summer as it would have saved me lugging around several products to the beach and pool! You know when you go on vacation or camping and you bring shampoo, conditioner, wash for the bathing suits, dish soap for the pots and pans, etc. etc. – well now you can grab this – Kiss my Face Peace Soap – a 100% natural castile soap and it does the job of several products and smells great.
Plus it’s biodegradable, environmentally friendly, made without parabens, phthlates and animal ingredients and is not tested on animals. The company sent me a sample of the pomegranate acai and it worked great (especially for washing sand and chlorine out of bathing suits!)
The multi-purpose peace soap is just perfect for traveling and camping and good for just about anything from head to toe cleaning to washing out camping gear. The peace soap is named for its support of Seeds of Peace, an organization that aims to develop relationshiopss and leadership skills among young people from regions of conflict. Kiss my Face supports seeds of Peace by donating 10% of all profits from Peace Soap to the organization.
Kiss My Face Castile Soap