Happy Spring! Hopefully the snow we just got yesterday will melt quickly! Each season I switch my closets and I cannot wait until the weather gets warmer. What trends/colors are you excited about this spring? Here are the top 5 trends that are on my must have list.
1. Black & White – Whether it’s a skirt or a sweater, the trend of black and white looks crisp and sleek. Luckily I own a few nice pieces already – see my photos below. I also love the look of black and white polka dots.
2. Florals – flowers are a big trend this spring (it reminds me of the 80’s!) Check out Ann Taylor or jcrew.com for inspiration
3. Silver – Especially on accessories this will work for day or night dressing. It looks especially chic when combined with white.
4. Sheer – You have to be careful with this one. Try a more subtle shirt with sheer side panels poking through.
5. Global – this influence of exotic, colorful prints just pop! Try it in a scarf or a cute pair of shorts if you cannot embrace a full dress.
Black & White for Spring!
Well, with weather in New England you just never know if spring is actually here until way past April. Last night I could feel a touch a spring as the girls and I tried on dresses @OldNavy for an upcoming fashion show at @MiddlesexCommon. I was so sleep deprived from the daylight savings time that I forgot to take photos! But I do love the selection of spring dresses and cute outfits at Old Navy. It seems yellow, orange and flower print is in. I love the color combinations this spring as well. We did a bit of shopping this weekend and this yellow outfit for my 8 year old is from the gap and the gray dress is from Old Navy. Come see us @MiddlesexCommon on Saturday, March 30th from 1-3 for a fun spring fashion show!
Bright colors from The Gap
- Gray and orange color combination for spring
A big welcome back from February school vacation! I came to the conclusion after a couple days away to lovely long island in the winter that my kids only need a nice hotel pool, free treats from that hotel in the afternoon and an arcade nearby and they are all set and have a grand time.
We talked this and more on 980 WCAP-AM. Listen in!
Today on 980 WCAP-AM we talked holiday decorating and stocking stuffer gift ideas. I have gathered some great finds for my TV segment. Here are just a few that I have tested out!
I wish I thought of this great invention called Boottights.com – a sock and tight all in one. There are lots of colors and styles to choose from so check out the site. They are tights with socks built into them so you can be cozy in your boots. No more cold feet or feet slipping in your boots, check out the site or find them at Neiman marcus.com or Norstroms.com
COVERGIRL has a new line of nail polish. The COVERGIRL outlast stay brilliant nail color is high gloss nail color that can last for as long as 7 days – great colors too. I love how it looks very shiny just like you get at the salon but I did not have to apply a top coat and it dries very quickly – bonus!
Any of the new products from Conair and their sister-brand scünci would make a great gift for teens/tweens. The Knotted Ponytail holders from scünci are so colorful kids love to wear them as bracelets but always have one on hand (or I should say on their wrist) Find them for $3.99 at major retailers. They also have a sleek line of Ponytailer Bracelets that look like jewelry too! Perfect for older kids and moms too. We also love Conair’s tools to create different looks like the French Twist Updo clip and the Bun Maker which are both easy to use. The Topsy Tail is also quite the tool that can create multiple hairstyles like a fun twisted pony or braids. I also tested out the Infiniti Pro by Conair™ 1875 Watt Salon Performance AC Motor Styling Tool hair dryer. I remember as a child receiving a fancy hair dryer (remember the ones with a shower cap like device attached with a hose to another device?) Well times have changed and so have hair dryers. Ergonomically designed for ultimate comfort this dryer certainly produces salon-quality results. It’s quiet and it does ensures fast drying time too – perfect us moms on the go!
Disclosure: The above items were sent to me from the companies listed to test out and review. All opinions are my own.
I have to say I have never bought clothes at @Sears. Ok, well maybe I have bought a few things from the Lands End line. I was thinking I needed a new pair of jeans as I recently lost weight and none fit me. I do have a very hard time finding jeans to fit me. Without admitting how short I am – let’s just say I am five feet two on a good day.
On a whim I went into Sears and actually tried on the jeans from the Kardashian collection. I only had time to try on the Kim and the Khloe (as I had two kids with me – trust me – even though my kids are older it is still difficult to shop for clothes for me (especially jeans). I ended up going with the Kim. The length was actually good for me. The Khloe fit good too but was a bit long (as I think the tag said they are for taller women). I was surprised by the fabric – they were really soft and they looked like my favorite designer jean! Plus they were on sale too! So as always, never say never!
The March issue of People Style Watch – my favorite magazine – had a story in their fashion scoop section on how Coach revisits the classics. It seems every celebrity is now carrying classic purses. Coach has introduced its Coach Classics which is a collection of five of its most popular leather bag designs from the 1970s. I have a few old school Coach bags just hanging in my closet that I rarely pull out -see picture. It is nice to know that they are still in the best shape. I of course cannot say that about a few other non-leather designer purses I have. I do love a good leather purse. I have a few designer fabric ones that just did not hold up as well as my leather coach ones have over the years. Here’s to the classics!
My girls still love the American Girl Doll store. They have two dolls each and went through a time a few years ago when they played with them all the time. Then they stopped. A friend had her 5 year old daughter’s birthday celebration there yesterday and again my girls had a blast. Now they are excited about playing with the dolls again.
AG puts on a nice celebration. The desert was great and the girls loved the presentation of the treats. The girls kept bugging me as they wanted to visit the salon for hair and ear piercing for their dolls – that is a bit pricy for a doll! I would rather have my kids get their hair done! But it is a nice way to spend the day!
The girl's dolls at American Girl
Treats at The American Girl Doll Store
Hair Accessories – my kids love them but they also lose them or break them…a lot! Headbands, clips, pony tail holders, etc. all here today and sometimes gone tomorrow. That is why I dread spending a lot of money on anything that goes in their hair. On a recent gal’s night out with my 7 year old we took a trip to forever 21. She knew immediately that is was not a kids store when she went reaching for a few t-shirts but when we hit the accessories section she was in heaven and so was I.
Cute necklaces for under $4.00….. Hair clips and headbands for $1.50…I did not mind getting a few for her and her sister. The store had the trendiest ones available – headbands with feathers in them. In fact anything with feathers is my 7 year old’s favorite. These clips I might keep for myself!
@forever21 hair accessories
Today is a bright, sunny and warm day in Boston so it is making me think of Spring! Right before the holidays the folks at the Pantone Institute announced the color of 2012: Tangerine Tango. It is like a reddish-orange color and full of energy. Glad I have some left over flip flops and t’s in this color from last season!
According to Pantone, orange has been gaining popularity among designers and consumers for years and is now being used in fashion, design and cosmetics. It has year-round viability with its vibrancy to match spring’s liveliness, while still holding on to the elements of its traditionally autumnal hue. Love it! What do you have in your closet from last year that you can grab this season in this fun color?
In keeping with my blog posts this week…..tis the season for cold weather…fa la la la la…
There are so many fun accessories for the winter season to make you look oh, so fashionable. Here are a few of my favorites and some I mentioned on NECN.
- It’s a scarf? A shawl? A belt? It can be all of them. The Isatwist.com is a hand knit flexible woven fabric that does it all (starting at $76)
- I love Echo scarfs! Echo Touch gloves in the kids version keeps your little ones’ hands warm while they keep in touch on their iphone, ipad, etc. ($24.00) They have wonderful infinity ring scarf’s and sets as well. Nice colors and selection on their website
- Thumbdogs.com are great with any pair of gloves you own. You can attach to any glove and use your iphone, even to ski gloves too, but make sure you check your phone on the ski lift and not on the slopes! ($12.99)
- These are very trendy right now: animal hats: D&Y critter kingdom gloves and hats. Everyone seems to be wearing critter gloves and hats this season. I love this line!
- My kid’s favorite are the fuzzy animal hoods from Spirit Hoods. ($79.00)
- And of course to dress up your boots this season check out HUGGRZ. (Disclosure: and I am not just saying that because they are my client.) These boot wraps are great, try them out yourself and change the look of the boots you have (so save yourself some $ this season). They have 20 different styles and fabrics from fur, leopard print and knit.